Chicken Biryani recipe made in pressure cooker or pot. One of the most amazing royal dishes introduced to Indian by the Mughals is Biryani. Since then it is very popular and considered a great treat to enjoy on special occasions. Making chicken biryani in authentic bimb style takes some time and requires some expertise.
Traditional chicken biryani is made by sorting marinated chicken and is made with parboiled rice, herbs, saffron milk and then ghee. I have shared the traditional Fusion Bengali Dum Biryani with North Indian Dum Biryani here.
The recipe shared here in this post describes a small cut method to make a simple delicious savory biryani in a pressure cooker or a pot.
So what I have shared in this post is not dum style biryani yet it will surprise you with a nice aroma and taste.
This recipe gives Chicken Biryani which is very oily, spicy, hot or hot as it appears in the pictures. However, if you do not like the heat, you can reduce the amount of red chili powder. You can enjoy it with RAITA, SHORBA, LASSI and Papad.
To make a good biryani, always use good quality ingredients. A choice of good quality basmati rice, whole spices, spice powder, chicken and ghee contributes to the taste of chicken biryani.
1) Basmati rice: There are many types of basmati rice available in the market. For best results choose a premium quality basmati rice called AGED. Such rice is more firm in chicken biryani and fills well. Old rice is also more fragrant. Although this biryani is made in a pressure cooker or pot, the grains of rice will come out with the rice without being extinguished when the texture is right.
2) Biryani Masala (Spices): Good quality whole spices and spice powders add flavor to chicken biryani. So choose a good quality prepared gram masala powder or biryani masala. I am also sharing the ingredients for Instant Biryani Masala Powder. If you do not have ready-made or store-bought masala, you can make it in a few minutes.
3) Chicken: We usually use chopped chicken to make chicken biryani. However I always have chicken breast pieces that are not well marinated with yogurt. If you like soft, tender and juicy pieces of chicken in your biryani, just use the chicken thigh and drumstick. Always use bone in chicken as it helps to make the dish tastier.
4) Ghee: Traditionally chicken biryani was made using ghee. Since this recipe does not follow the traditional method, you can also make it using oil. But ghee adds a unique aroma to the dish.
Marination: Killing the chicken with curd and spices is the first step in making the best chicken biryani. Yogurt makes chicken tasty and spices add flavor. Killing and resting the chicken makes it soft and succulent, so don’t leave it out. If you do not eat yogurt, you can mix it in coconut milk. We have not marinated the chicken in this recipe.
Preparation of rice: To get rid of the discovery, basmati rice has to be infused in sufficient quantity several times. This prevents rice grains from melting. Soaking rice helps the rice grains cook longer. Therefore, do not clean the rice thoroughly before using.
Water: This recipe uses plain water to cook chicken biryani. However it can be replaced with coconut milk or chicken stock. The quality of the water I mentioned in the recipe card works well for me with the Red Fort Old Malai Basmati Rice. This ratio works very well with any aged Basmati rice.
Please adjust the amount of heat in the recipe. My recipe for Indian taste buds is usually low on heat. Since I have young children at home, these levels work well for us.
Chicken Biryani recipe made in a pressure cooker or pot. One of the most amazing royal dishes introduced by the Mughals to Indian is Biryani. Since then it is very popular and considered a great treat to enjoy on special occasions. Making chicken biryani in authentic dum style takes some time and requires some expertise. Traditional chicken biryani is made by sorting marinated chicken and is made with parboiled rice, herbs, saffron milk and then ghee. I have shared the traditional Fusion Bengali Dum Biryani with North Indian Dum Biryani here. The recipe shared here in this post describes a small cut method to make a simple delicious savory biryani in a pressure cooker or a pot. So what I have shared in this post is not dum style biryani yet it will surprise you with a nice aroma and taste. This recipe gives chicken biryani which is very oily, spicy, hot or pungent as it appears in the pics. However you can reduce the amount of red chili powder if you do not like the heat. You can enjoy it with RAITA, SHORBA, LASSI and Papad.
- • 1KG Chicken.
- • 500gm Rice
- • Fried Onion (6-7Pcs)
- • Kewra Water
- • Salt as your Taste
- • 3 Tbsp Mustard Oil.
- • 100gm Ghee / Butter.
- • 4 Tbsp Curd/yogurt whisked.
- • 1 Tbsp Coriander Leaf.
- • 2Pcs Chopped Tomato.
- • 3Pcs Chopped Onion.
- • 6Pcs Green Chilly
- • 2Pcs Lemon
- • 2 Tbsp Ginger Paste.
- • 2 Tbsp Garlic Paste.
- • 50 gm Raisins.
- • 4Pcs Boiled Egg
- • 5Pcs Boiled Potato
- • 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder.
- • 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- • 2 Tsp Coriander Powder.
- • 1.5Tsp Cumin Seed Powder.
- • 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder.
- • 2 Tsp Cumin Seed
- • 4Pcs Bay leaf.
- • 4Pcs Green cardamom
- • 2Pcs Big cardamom
- • 2Pcs (1-inch piece) Cinnamon.
- • 2Pcs Nutmeg(Jay phal)
- • 2Pcs Mace (Javitri)
- • Orange & Red Food Colours
- • 200ml Water.
- Step 1 Preparation for chicken biryani: –
- Step 2 1) Now take all chicken leg pieces in a bowl put little food red colour and salt. Make gashes on the chicken. And marinade for ½ an hour.
- Step 3 2) Rinse basmati rice thrice and soak for 30 mins. Drain to a colander after 30 mins.
- Step 4 How to make chicken biryani:-
- Step 5 1) Heat ghee or oil in a cooker or pot.
- Step 6 2) Sauté whatever whole spices you have – bay leaf, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, shahi jeera & mace for a minute till the spice release fragrance. Keep aside.
- Step 7 3) Then take 4 Tbsp of mustard oil and get the oil heated post that fry 6 to 7Pcs of sliced onion with little turmeric till it’s become golden colours, then keep aside golden fried onion.
- Step 8 4) Now take all chicken leg pieces in the frying pan which was used for fried onion, use balance oil to fry Chicken legs both side for at least 15 mints on low flame. Keep aside Golden Fried Chicken.
- Step 9 5) Then add sauté and put chopped onion into the frying pan and fry till it gets golden post that add all the spices and ginger garlic paste and salt. Fry these spices on low flame till it release oil. After that put curd into the frying pan along with fried chicken legs and fry it till it release oil.
- Step 10 6) Add 1 cup water and salt as per taste and boil. Gradually spices will mixed well with the chicken legs. Cover & cook on a law flame until the chicken is soft cooked or tender.
- Step 11 7) Sauté to evaporate any excess moisture in the pot.
- Step 12 Layering for Chicken Biryani:-
- Step 13 1) Mix everything well and layer chicken evenly at the bottom.
- Step 14 2) Spread rice in a layer over the chicken.
- Step 15 3) Put boiled rice along with 1 tbsp Ghee, Red colour and mixed it well and create the 1st Lear. At the top of the 1st Lear put fried onion, Coriander leafs, and Boiled fried Potato, Eggs, Lemon Juice and kewra water.
- Step 16 4) In the same process do the 2nd Lear with orange colour Rice.
- Step 17 5) In the same process do the 3rd Lear with plain boiled rice. Post that create 6 holes from the top rice Lear till bottom and keep the biryani under steam till 20 mints. In this process steam will circulate from bottom of the frying pan till top and rice will cooked fully.
- Step 18 6) In another Pan boil water for rice. Put salt into the boiled water and water soak rice (Keep basmati rice 2hrs in water before) in the pan for boiling with 4 Green cardamom powder & 2 bay leafs. Boiled rice till semi cooked.
- Step 19 7) After 20 mints remove the lid and split the rice Lear and get Biryani ready to serve.
- Step 20 8) Pot method – If cooking in a pot, cover and cook on a low flame until the chicken biryani is done to your liking. If the rice is still under cooked or hard, sprinkle some hot water and cook further.
- Step 21 9) Cooker method – Set the flame to medium high. Cover & place the whistle. Cook for 1 whistle. Move the cooker away from the burner to stop cooking further.
- Step 22 10) Rest until pressure settles. Fluff up the chicken biryani with a fork.
- Step 23 11) Serve from top to the bottom layer. Each serving gets biryani rice from top and chicken from the bottom layer.
- Step 24 12) Enjoy chicken biryani with Raita and sliced cucumber, Papad and Biryani Gravy.
You can reach us through our following social media accounts:
#chicken biryani #chicken for biryani # chicken biryani recipe # recipe for chicken biryani #chicken biryani dum #chicken biryani near me #chicken biryani Hyderabad