Bengali Style Mutton Curry is very popular Mutton curry for Bengalis. This common mutton curry serve with steamed Rice or Lucchi. It’s a regular recipe in Bengali community. All age group loves this type of mutton curry with rice or lucchi on Special occasion or weekends.
Aroma of this recipe give mouth watering sensation and increase in appetite. After this super lunch Bengalis like to take a quick nap on the weekend to rejuvenate.
Bengali Style Aloo Mutton Curry
Bengali Style Aloo Mutton Curry - Authentic bengali recipe
- • 700 gm Mutton Curry Cuts.
- • 3 Pcs Onions, Sliced 2 (Total 150gm).
- • Fried onions crushed, 1 medium onion.
- • 4 Pcs Potatoes peeled, cut into 8 pieces.
- • 3 Pcs Tomato, chopped 2 small (Total 150gm).
- • 2 Tbsp. Ginger Garlic Paste. 2Tbsp Tomato Sauce.
- • 2 Tbsp. Curd/yogurt whisked.
- • 2 Tsp Red Chili powder.
- • 4 Tsp Coriander powder.
- • 2 Tsp Cumin seed powder.
- • 1 Tsp Garam masala powder.
- • 2 Tsp Salt + 1Tsp seasoning at the end.
- • 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil.
- • 2 Tbsp. Ghee.
- • 300 ml Water.
- Whole garam masala/spices for tempering:
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera.
- 4 Pcs Green cardamom.
- 4 Pcs Cloves.
- 1-inch piece Cinnamon.
- 1 Pcs Black cardamom.
- 2 Pcs Bay leaf. 1Tsp Turmeric powder.
- Step 1 1.Remove brown onion from oil & allow it to cool. Crush it with your hands or rough grind it in a blender/grinder.
- Step 2 2. Slice 2 small onions,Chop 2 tomatoes, peel and halve 4 medium-sized potatoes into 8 pieces.and set aside. Keep in a bowl of water to prevent it from turning brown.
- Step 3 3. Process: – Heat oil + Ghee in a Kadhai or frying pan and add the whole spices. – Give a stir and add the sliced onions.
- Step 4 4. On Fried translucent onions add mutton pieces and fry it for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Step 5 5. Add the ginger-garlic paste, mix it well to coat the mutton and fry for 3-4 mins on medium heat.
- Step 6 6. Add all spices (other than garam masala powder) and 1 tsp salt. Mix well and fry on medium to low heat for 10-12 mins.
- Step 7 7. Now add chopped tomatoes, mix and fry on low heat until tomatoes are soft and mushy. This should take around 6-7 mins.
- Step 8 8. Add the whisked curd/yogurt, crushed onions, and mix well. Cook on low heat for 5 mins till oil separates
- Step 9 9. Now add the potato halves, mix and fry for 2 mins.
- Step 10 10. Add 250 ml water, mix and add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder.
- Step 11 11. Transfer to a pressure cooker and add more water to cover the meat and potatoes. 12. Close the lid and cook till 3 whistles (on high heat till 1st whistle and turn it to low heat after 1st whistle). – Serve with Rice or Roti.